… Voting now opens across the continent to decide winners
The African Leadership magazine (ALM) has unveiled a shortlist of nominees for the 13 categories of the ALM Persons of the Year Awards 2020, following a call for nomination which ended recently, and attracted submissions from Africans across the continent and in the Diaspora.
Chairman of the African Leadership Magazine, Dr. Ken Giami, while unveiling the nominees of the ALM Persons of the Year 2020, at the group’s corporate head office in Portsmouth, United Kingdom, said “the year 2020 has been an extraordinary year as well as a challenging one for most people globally, including Africa, especially following the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, which exposed the fragilities of the continent’s health and economic systems. Our nominees were therefore unanimously selected for their various enormous contributions and efforts towards addressing the intricate political, socioeconomic and health challenges the continent has been faced with during these unprecedented times – championing the narrative of a resilient Africa. The ALM Persons of the Year Awards 2020 is an opportunity for all Africans of all shades of thought to say, ‘thank you’, to some of these distinguished heroes”.
The African Leadership Magazine Persons of the Year Awards is Africa’s premier vote-based endorsement, reserved annually for the leading Africans who are contributing towards promoting the continent progress, and positively altering Africa’s perceived negative image. The annual event has also become a platform for honoring people-centered leadership and Africans that are pursuing a pan-African agenda in their chosen fields of endeavor. This year’s event will provide a platform to celebrate the continent’s purveyors of hope – business, political and diplomatic leaders who are helping us to see possibilities in the midst of a global pandemic that has become an existential threat.
All winners of the 2020 awards shall be presented with an award trophy and formally decorated with the instruments of the honor at the 9th African Leadership Magazine Persons of the Year Award Ceremonies, scheduled to hold virtually (Via Zoom) on February 26th, 2021. The magazine therefore invites you to visit its website (www.africanleadershipmagazine.co.uk) to vote for your choice nominee in different categories for this prestigious award, as voting closes on Friday, January 8, 2021, at midnight Central African Time.
Below are the distinguished Africans who made the shortlist of nominees in different categories, and all Africans are welcomed to vote:
AFRICAN OF THE YEAR 2020
This recognition is open to an African whose actions have greatly impacted the continent positively in the year under review and helped shape his or her immediate society and continues to inspire globally.
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General, World Health organization, WHO, Ethiopia
- Strive Masiyiwa, Founder & Executive Chairman, Econet Group, Zimbabwe
- Tony Elumelu, Founder, Tony Elumelu Foundation
- Moussa Faki Mahamat, Chairperson, African Union Commission (AUC), Chad
AFRICAN POLITICAL LEADER OF THE YEAR
(Formerly: ALM Person of the Year 2020 – Political Leadership)
This recognition is open to an African, whose contribution has immensely contributed to deepening democracy and democratic values in the continent.
- H.E. Nana Akufo-Addo, President of Ghana
- H.E. John Magufuli, President of Tanzania
- H.E. Cyril Ramaphosa, President of South Africa
- H.E. Macky Sall, President of Senegal
AFRICAN FEMALE LEADER OF THE YEAR
This recognition is open to an African woman who has defied the odds, risen above the patriarchal systems in the continent to positively affect the continent or influence women to aspire for excellence in various fields.
- Mrs. Salwa Akhannouch, CEO, Aksal Group, Morocco.
- Mrs. Tiguidanke Camara, Chairman & CEO, TMG Group, Guinea
- Mrs. Vera Songwe, Executive Secretary, UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), Cameroon
- Princess (Dr.) Vicky Haastrup, Executive Vice Chairman, ENL Consortium Limited, Nigeria
AFRICAN EDUCATIONIST OF THE YEAR
(Formerly: ALM Person of the Year 2020 – Educational Development)
This recognition is open to an African, whose contribution to the growth of education and deepening knowledge has been second to none in the year under review. It is also reserved for a member of the academic whose research or policy has contributed to shaping his or her country’s economic growth and development
- Prof. Samuel Edoumiekumo, Vice Chancellor, Niger Delta University, NDU, Nigeria
- Professor Mamokgethi Phakeng, Vice Chancellor, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Prof. Yusuf Datti Baba Ahmed, Founder & Pro-Chancellor, Baze University, Nigeria
- Dr. Patrick Awuah Jr., Founder & President, Ashesi University, Ghana
AFRICAN INDUSTRIALIST OF THE YEAR
(Formerly: ALM Person of the Year 2020 – Employment Generation)
This recognition is open to an African, whose actions, policies and business has helped in creating jobs for Africans in the year under review
- Onsi Sawiris, Founder Orascom group, Egypt
- Naushad Merali, Chairman, Sameer Group
- Nicky Oppenheimer, the Brenthurst Foundation South Africa
- Abdulsamad Rabiu, BUA Group Nigeria
AFRICAN PHILANTHROPIST OF THE YEAR
(Formerly: ALM Person of the Year 2020 – Philanthropy & Charitable Contributions to Society). This recognition is open to an African, who has given more to support a charitable cause, social justice and promote social good.
- Ayo & Helen Oritsejafor, Founders, Eagle Hand International Foundation, Nigeria
- Judy Dlamini, Founder & Executive Chairman, Mbekani Group, South Africa
- Manu & Aruna Chandaria, Comcraft Group, Kenya
- Mo Ibrahim, Founder, Mo Ibrahim foundation
ALM YOUNG PERSON OF THE YEAR
Criteria: Must be between the ages of 18-38; Young persons of African descent, making a difference globally via diverse sectors such as business, IT, entertainment, sports, etc, remaining a positive role model and re-defining creativity, resilience; hard work and ingenuity of the continent’s young people.
- Eder Pale, Founder & CEO, Mozhandlings Mozambique
- Ezra Olubi and Mr. Shola Akinlade, Founders, Paystack Nigeria
- Sadio Mane, Footballer, Senegal
- Oluseun Onigbinde, BudgIT Nigeria
AFRICA AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT CHAMPION OF THE YEAR
Criteria: This recognition is reserved for any African or leader of an Africa-based organisation with visible track record of sustained investment in the Agricultural sector, creating jobs, food security, and economic development in their respective domains.
- Folorunso Muyiwa, Founder and CEO, Porkmoney, Nigeria
- Issad Rebrab, Founder and CEO, Cevital Group, Algeria
- Onyeka Akumah, Co-founder and CEO of FarmCrowdy Nigeria
- Noel Doyle, Chief Executive Officer, Tiger Brands, South Africa
- Lionel Soulard, Managing Director, Cargill West Africa
AFRICA CLIMATE CHAMPION OF THE YEAR
This recognition is open to individuals; groups; associations; or companies that are deeply committed towards combating climate action in Africa, through investments, CSR or any deliberate strategy.
- Agnes Matilda Kalibata, President, Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa, Rwanda
- Mithika Mwenda, Executive Director, Pan African Climate Justice Alliance, Kenya
- Balgis Osman-Elasha, Climate Change Expert, Morocco
- Graca Machel, Former First Lady and Climate activist, Mozambique
AFRICA PEACE & SECURITY LEADER OF THE YEAR
Criteria: This recognition is open to defence and security heads across the continent, with visible strides in the security of lives and properties in their countries. Nominees are also expected to subscribe to highest standards of accountability in the discharge of their responsibilities.
- General Vincent Nundwe, Army Commander, Malawi
- H.E. Idriss Déby Itno, President of Chad
- H.E. Pravind Jugnauth, Prime Minister of Mauritius
- Lt. General Placid Segokgo, Commander, Botswana Defence Force (BDF)
- H.E. Goodluck Jonathan, former President of Nigeria
AFRICAN ENERGY LEADER OF THE YEAR
This recognition is open to Africans with visible impact, through investment, excellent stewardship, and unique invention in Africa’s energy sector
- Nkechi Obi, MD/CEO, Teckno Oil, Nigeria
- Kwame Kyei, MD/CEO, Unity Oil Company Ltd, Ghana
- Dame Winifred Akpani, MD/CEO Northwest Petroleum & Gas Limited, Nigeria
- Paulino Jerónimo, President, Angolan National Petroleum and Gas Agency
AFRICAN PUBLIC HEALTH CHAMPION OF THE YEAR
This award is reserved for individuals who have contributed immensely to the promotion of public health programmes in Africa.
- Dr John Nkengasong, Director General, Africa CDC, Cameroon
- Jean-Jacques Muyembe, Ebola Vaccine, Congo
- Ola Brown, Founder, Flying Doctors, Nigeria
AFRICA DISRUPTOR OF THE YEAR
This award will be conferred on a business leader who has pioneered innovative business ideas and/or technologies that have had a transformative impact on an industry or sector.
- Kamal Yakub, founder, Uber for Tractors, Ghana
- Christophe Viarnaud, Founder, AfricArena. South Africa
- Babs Ogundeyi – Founder & CEO at Kudabank, Nigeria
- Ken Njoroge, CEO & Co-founder, Cellulant Corporation, Kenya
About African Leadership Magazine Group
The African Leadership magazine is published by African Leadership (U.K.) Limited, a company registered in the United Kingdom. The magazine focuses on bringing the best of Africa to a global audience, telling the African story from an African perspective, while evolving solutions to peculiar challenges being faced by the continent today.